Dr. Miraliakbar has been involved in multiple scientific research studies, abstracts, articles, presentations and book chapters. In 2006, he authored a chapter on lumbar total disc replacement in Non-fusion Techniques in the Spine. His research on posterior cervical stabilization has been presented at Cervical Spine Research Society and American Association of Neurological Surgeons.
Education and Background:
||University of California, San Diego
La Jola, CA
B.S., Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Magna Cum Laude
||State University of New York, Brooklyn
M.D., Medicine, Cum Laude, AOA Honor Medical Society
||University of Illinois at Chicago
||University of Illnois at Chicago
||Cedars Sinai Medical Center
Los Angeles, CA
Spinal Surgery, Fellowship Award: Dedicated to the Advancement of Spinal Sciences
Board Certification and Focus:
|DIPLOMATE, AMERICAN BOARD OF ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY
Scope of Practice
Specialist within orthopaedic surgery (75% or more of practice committed to an area of specialty interest)
Type of Practice
Languages Spoken in Our Practice
Affiliation / Achievements:
- Cedars Sinai Medical Center
- St. Vincent Medical Center
Specialty Society Memberships
- North American Spine Society
- Scoliosis Research Society
Additional Society Memberships
- California Orthopaedic Association
Professional Achievements, Awards, and Interests:
" Spinal Fellowship Award: Dedicated to the Advancement of Spinal Sciences, DePuy Spine 2004 " Christopher Pavildes Award for: Excellence in Orthopaedic Surgery, 1998 " Cum Laude, 1998 " Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, 1997 " Department Honors in Biology with Distinction, 1994 " Magna Cum Laude, 1994 " Phi Beta Kappa, 1994 " Phi Beta Delta National Honor Society, 1992 " Golden Key National Honor Society, 1992
1. Miraliakbar H, Lauryssen C. SLIM-LOC Anterior Cervical System. Surgical Techniques in Spinal Instrumentation, edited by Kim DH, Vaccaro AR, Fessler RG. Thieme Medical Publishing, 2005.
2. Miraliakbar H, Regan J. The Unconstrained Implant: Charité Artificial Disc TM. Non-Fusion Techniques for the Spine, edited by James Maxwell. Quality Medical Publishing, 2006.
1. Hamilton J, Arias D, Bilancini M, Miraliakbar H. Addition of Cross-link to the C1 Lateral Mass/C2 Pedicle Screw Fixation Constructs: A Biomechanical Study. Cervical Spine Research Society, Annual Meeting. December of 2005.
2. Johnson JP, Cambron H, Miraliakbar H. The Charité Artificial Disc: Our Initial Experience with Surgical Complications in the Early Postoperative Period. Submitted to Spine Arthroplasty Society.
3. Miraliakbar H, J. Patrick Johnson. C1-2 Fusion Using Facet Arthrodesis without Posterior Structural Bone Grafting: Clinical Results on a New Technique. " American Association of Neurological Surgeons/Congress of Neurological Surgeons, Annual Meeting, March, 2005.
" Cervical Spine Research Society, Annual Meeting, December 2005.
4. Anand N, Miraliakbar H, Goldstein T. Cantilever Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion for correction and maintenance of segmental coronal balance in degenerative scoliosis. Buenos Aires, Argentina, Scoliosis Research Society, Sept 2004.
5. Anand N, Miraliakbar H, Goldstein T. Cantilever Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion for correction and maintenance of sagittal lordosis with clinical, radiological and functional outcome. International Meeting for Advanced Spinal Technology, Bermuda, July 2004.
6. Cramer K, Tornetta P, Spero C, Alter S, Miraliakbar H, Teefey J Ender Rod Fixation for Pediatric Femur Fractures American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 66th Annual Meeting, Anaheim, CA. Feb 7, 1999.
7. Duerr R, Huang S, Miraliakbar H, Clark R, Chien K, Ross J. Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 enhances ventricular hypertrophy and function during onset of experimental cardiac failure American Heart Association, 67th Scientific Session. Dallas, Texas. November 15, 1994.
1. Anand N, Miraliakbar H, Goldstein T. Cantilever Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion for correction and maintenance of segmental coronal balance in degenerative scoliosis. Submitted to Spine.
2. Miraliakbar H, DeWald CJ, Mardjetko SM. Occipital Claws in Posterior Occipitocervical Fusion: A Report on a New Technique. In Progress.
3. Cramer K, Tornetta P, Spero C, Alter S, Miraliakbar H, Teefey J Ender Rod Fixation of femoral Shaft Fractures in Children Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. July 2000, 376: 119-123
4. Mainwaring R, Miraliakbar H, Lamberti J, Moore J. Secundum-Type Atrial Septal Defects with Failure to Thrive in First Year of Life, Journal of Cardiac Surgery. March 1996. 11: 116-120.
5. Duerr R, Huang S, Miraliakbar H, Clark R, Chien K, Ross J. Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 enhances ventricular hypertrophy and function during onset of experimental cardiac failure, Journal of Clinical Investigation. Feb 1995, 95: 619-627.